Skip to main content

"The One Who Let Go"

I’m a sucker for love stories, both happy and sad. I love listening to a friend talk about a new found love. On the other hand, I cry with a friend who’s bleeding in love. Love is such a popular subject because all of us can relate to it. Who has not experienced its joys and pains? Even the famous hits are all about love. Those who have not loved have not lived. To quote my favorite author, "And those who have never been wounded in love will never be able to say: “I have lived”. Because they haven’t."

One day, I could not help but chat (with) an old classmate. I have not spoken to her in ages. It's only through Facebook that I get updates from her (oh, don't we just love Facebook). When I saw that she was online, I just had to tell her that I was so happy that she met someone. Prior to that convo, I saw her posts about her new boyfriend and it was perfectly clear that she was on cloud nine. She and her boyfriend looked very happy in their pictures together, that I could not help but reminisce my own love story. I'm sure you'll agree that seeing someone who's so in love brings us those memories of the honeymoon stage in our relationships. However, she told me that they have broken up. The reason being was the guy went back to his ex-girlfriend (ex-girlfriends are such a pain). I was expecting bitter and ugly words from her. But then, she said ...

“Let me tell you, though. I was the "One Who Let Go". But you know why I'm not that reproachful about the whole thing? Because after XX years, I got to feel once again that giddyness and floating feeling of having someone to love crazily and who loved you back in the same manner. Shame it had to end so soon, but to feel that again after a long time already makes it worth it. There was a time when I can sing again the songs that I eventually couldn't sing. I'm hoping that the next time love comes my way I can keep it for longer and I'd have more chances to cherish and nurture it.” 

Wouldn’t it be nice if everyone who goes through a breakup has the same mindset as her? I've been through breakups before and my reaction was very far from hers (let's save this for another story). I admire this girl. I admire her maturity. Instead of cursing her ex-boyfriend and being such a BITTER OCAMPO about it, she chose to be positive and optimistic. 

To "the one who let go"- I admire you for doing the right thing. Many people stay in unhappy and complicated relationships, when they perfectly know their way out. But you chose not to. You are brave, strong, not to mention smart. This world does not need another martyr nor a masochist. Don’t worry, I'm sure you’ll meet Mr. God’s-will-for-you soon. Because, I’m telling you it’s true, when one door closes, another one opens. The best is always saved for last. 


From my old blog, published on Friday, March 09, 2012
:)

Comments